Rainbow

Rainbow
Somewhere, at any time, there is a rainbow of promise!

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Career decisions never end

Having had a glimpse of a more “professional” occupation while working as an insurance broker or senior administrative assistant, there are times when opportunity knocks and I feel obliged to at least see what’s there.

This was the case over the past couple weeks. There were two sales rep. positions open at the Red Deer Advocate, where I currently work, and the prospect of a new challenge caused me to give it some consideration.

I don’t mind the work I do now. In Advertising Services, we enter the details of the newspaper ads and flyers into computer. We are also the first step of creating the newspaper. We do the initial layout, determining where the advertising is placed, then send the pages to the editorial department. When I’m not doing that, I work one day per week in the newsroom, posting the stories and photos from the paper to the web site.

I have never been much of a salesperson. If something isn’t viable enough to sell itself, I would not likely get far. But I see the sales people come and go each day and know that they are making considerably more salary than I. They work independently and visit a variety of people and businesses every day. Except for a few stories brought back, it seems pretty easy.

Then my rational, practical side kicked in. A higher salary always comes with greater risk, responsibility and stress, especially a commission-based pay scale. The customers are not always cheerful or compliant, and the driving would be in all kinds of weather. With a cataract coming on and a tremor in my hands, how could I even think I could be successful? Besides, I would have to give up my optional day in the newsroom and I really enjoy working there.

Of course, the latter argument won and I didn’t apply for the change. I then mentioned it to my husband, who heartily agreed with that decision. So I will continue where I am, and be more satisfied doing so because I have looked at both sides and made a conscious decision.

Back to work I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment