Rainbow

Rainbow
Somewhere, at any time, there is a rainbow of promise!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Jamal the Camel


I have a friend who is currently sitting on the side of my chair, watching us – that is, he watches what he can see of us through his sunglasses.

Before returning from Afghanistan in 2004, my husband spent a week in hospital in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. As he was recuperating between tests, he had lots of time to think. He regretted not purchasing an afghan for me at the weekly market held at the entrance to Camp Julien. He had planned to bring me an afghan from Afghanistan! In retrospect, it was probably good that he could not do so.

On a walk around the hospital, he visited the Gift Shop. There he found something to bring home for me.

 
Jamal the Camel is my stuffed “camel” friend from Dubai. He wears his name on an information card on his arm. That card teaches some interesting facts about camels:

 
But Jamal is more than just another “stuffie”. He is a reminder of the events that totally changed our lifestyle, of the plans left behind and the dreams to come. He goes with us in all our travels, keeping watch from his perch above a window in the fifth wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment