Rainbow

Rainbow
Somewhere, at any time, there is a rainbow of promise!

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Never say never

The irony of the events of the past two months amazes me. To put it in a Biblical phrase, it has been “more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think” (Ephesians ).

After being informed that my position was eliminated, I wrestled for some time between frustration over that event and determination to head into the unknown and charter a new course of employment.

On one hand I had enjoyed my work and did not want it to end. On the other hand, the door had opened to so many new possibilities I did not know where to begin. A couple shifts in temporary labor helped to work out the anxiety, and joining the Twitter community led me to tips for effective resume writing and job hunting. Eventually, things were settling down. Through networking and chatting with a college registrar and employment counselor, a plan of action was evolving.

Then an email arrived from my former boss with a job posting attached. I had no reason not to consider it. After all, my layoff was the result of orders from far beyond the local office. I applied and was successful in obtaining the position, four days per week in a new experience in a different department.

The interview was, for lack of a better term, interesting. What questions do you ask when you are familiar with the company and have more seniority than the two interviewers? I used the opportunity to assure myself that going back could be long-term. The hours were less desirable but benefits would be reinstated immediately. It seemed a suitable compromise.

I have now completed two weeks in my new job. So far it has gone well, although I have many more things to learn. I was surprised and encouraged to have so many people welcome me back. The “icing on the cake” was to be asked to spend the fifth weekday back at my former duties. I must have been missed!

When one reacts professionally, holding angry emotions at bay, it gives one time to clarify the thinking and keep doors open to new opportunities. It becomes exciting to see what possibilities can unfold.

Never say “never”!

No comments:

Post a Comment