Rainbow

Rainbow
Somewhere, at any time, there is a rainbow of promise!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Where new adventures begin…part 1

The countdown is on as we await our move home for the summer. Home, of course, is our home on wheels, the Genesis fifth wheel. Spring planning always involves decisions on things to do and places to travel, but most of our time is spent in one area while I continue to commute to work five days per week.

I came across a link on Twitter to a list of New Year’s Resolutions for Travelers. It bumped my imagination out of the routine to consider some new adventures. To see the entire article, visit  http://www.50plus.com/travel/new-years-resolutions-for-travellers/100887/. The following is my interpretation of the first three items.

Visit a new place in your hometown. I have lived in Red Deer for over twenty years and have visited many places, but the one that comes to mind that I have not yet visited is the Sports Hall of Fame. This summer I could make that happen. For visitors to Red Deer, my top recommendations would be Heritage Ranch, Bower Ponds, and if children are involved, Discovery Canyon.

Attend a free event or festival. This is a little more difficult with a husband whose health issues restrict him from attending these kinds of happenings. However, I have always been curious about the Street Performer’s Festival, so maybe this could be the year I check it out. The “pay” event that I always try to take in is the Canadian Gospel Music Celebration. A full evening of inspiring music is like a dose of good medicine.

Explore a small town. This is one of our favorite things to do when RVing. Most small towns have a quiet campground where one can base for a weekend and explore the area. Our summer circuit usually includes Wetaskiwin, Lacombe, Olds, Stettler, and Red Deer’s Lions Campground and Westerner Park campground. We have talked about visiting Devon, or going to Torrington and it’s Gopher Hole museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment