Rainbow

Rainbow
Somewhere, at any time, there is a rainbow of promise!

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Music of Christmas across the ages

The other day I saw an invitation to the annual seniors’ Christmas party in a town where I used to live. The realization struck me that, according to their criteria, I was now old enough to attend legitimately!

I have probably already attended more seniors’ Christmas parties than most seniors.

It was in the mid 1960’s that my mother sent a note with a book to my music teacher, telling her that I had been asked to play at the seniors’ tea, and asking her help to prepare the piece that I would play. I was in grade seven. The price sticker shows $1.80 and that's not on sale!


In the years following, I learned more pieces until I could play through the book. Each day of December, my mother would have me play thorough that book for her – a daily Christmas recital.

During high school, Christmas break was preceded by a week of exams. It was the routine of a few of my school classmates and I to gather at one friend’s home over lunch hour to study. Well, they studied. I was usually at the piano with my carol book. My friend’s mother appeared to enjoy my stumbling fingers, too.

Since that time we have changed residences about thirty times, at in many places I have used my carol book to play for church or to provide preludes for carol festivals. I have accompanied carol sings and soloists, many of them at a seniors’ Christmas party.

The public appearances have diminished over the past decade, but I still enjoy making music. When we moved from the RV, we brought my electronic piano in for the winter. On the next trip to storage I retrieved a box of Christmas music, including the old carol arrangement book.

This evening I relished in playing through that book yet again. It floods my mind with happy memories as well as familiar tunes. But I won't be off work in time to join the seniors for the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment